86 Marlborough Street
86 Marlborough Street was designed by Sturgis and Brigham, architects, and built ca. 1872 as the home of dry good commission merchant Charles Henry Joy and his wife, Marie Louise (Mudge) Joy. They also maintained a summer home in Groton.
In about 1876, Marie Joy's brother-in-law and sister, James and Caroline Estelle (Mudge) Lawrence, built their home next door, at 82 Marlborough.
Charles Joy is shown as the owner of 86 Marlborough on the 1874 Hopkins map and on the 1883 and 1888 Bromley maps.
During the 1888-1889 winter season, they were living elsewhere and 86 Marlborough was the home of Dr. Henry Parker Quincy and his wife, Mary Gardner (Adams) Quincy. He was a physician and professor of histology at Harvard Medical School. By 1890, the Quincys had moved to a new home they had built at 452 Beacon Street, and the Joys were living at 86 Marlborough once again.
Charles Joy died in June of 1892. Marie Joy continued to live at 86 Marlborough in 1893, but by 1894, it was the home of Horatio Appleton Lamb and his wife, Annie Lawrence (Rotch) Lamb. He was treasurer of Simmons College. They had lived at 122 Commonwealth Avenue in 1892. By 1895, the Lambs had moved to 260 Beacon Street.
By 1895, 86 Marlborough was the home of Richard Dudley Sears and his wife, Eleanor Mary (Cochrane) Sears. They had lived at 116 Beacon Street in 1893. Richard Dudley Sears was the first American men's singles champion in lawn tennis.
By 1897, the Sears had moved to 4 Gloucester Street and Marie Joy had resumed living at 86 Marlborough.
She continued to live there until 1901, but lived elsewhere in 1902 and 1903.
During the 1901-1902 winter season, 86 Marlborough was once again the temporary home of Horatio and Annie Lamb, who had been living at 260 Beacon Street in 1901.
During the 1902-1903 winter season, 86 Marlborough was the home of John Endicott Peabody and his wife, Martha Prince (Whitney) Peabody. They had lived at 183 Marlborough until about 1900, and then were living elsewhere until they moved to 86 Marlborough for the 1902-1903 season.
By 1904, the Peabodys had moved back to their home at 183 Marlborough, and Marie Joy was once again living at 86 Marlborough. She is shown as the owner on the 1908, 1917, and 1928 Bromley maps.
During the 1909-1910 winter season, she was again living elsewhere and 86 Marlborough was the home of attorney Charles Francis Choate, Jr., and his wife, Louise (Burnett) Choate.
Marie Joy resumed living at 86 Marlborough in 1911 and continued to live there with her son, Benjamin Joy, until her death in May of 1939. By the 1920s, they maintained a summer home in Nahant. The 1938 Bromley Atlas shows Mary Joy as the owner of this house.
By 1940, 86 Marlborough was owned by Mary Lowd. In July of 1940, she applied for (and subsequently received) permission to erect a fire escape and convert the property into a lodging house.
By 1953, 86 Marlborough was a girls' dormitory for Fisher College.
It remained a Fisher College dormitory, called “Sarah Mortimer Hall," in 1968.
By 1970, 86 Marlborough had become a dormitory for Emerson College but was owned by Scott Fisher of Fisher College. In December of 1974, he applied for (and subsequently received) permission to remodel the house and convert it from a lodging house into ten apartments.The property subsequently changed hands several times, and In May of 1978 was acquired Malcolm MacPhail and Dominick Scarfo, trustees of the 86 Marlborough Street Realty Trust. In September of 1978, they converted the property into nine condominiums. The legal occupancy, however, remained ten (rather than nine) units.