6 Marlborough Street
6 Marlborough Street was designed by architect George Nelson Jacobs and built in 1924 as a five-story (plus basement), 21-unit apartment house. The 6 Marlborough Street Trust is shown as the owner on the original building permit application, dated September 15, 1924.
The 1938 Bromley Atlas shows Franklin Investments Incorporated as the owner of this house.
The building subsequently changed hands several times and, in January of 1969, was acquired by Thomas F. Keating and Doris J. Keating, trustees of the Six Marlborough Trust. In August of 1969, they increased the number of units from 21 to 23. It changed ownership again, but remained an apartment house as of 2007.
6 Marlborough replaced a townhouse at the same address designed by architect Nathaniel J. Bradlee and built ca. 1864, one of two contiguous houses (6-8 Marlborough). 6 Marlborough was built on a lot 43 feet wide, and 8 Marlborough was built on a lot 22 feet wide. Both houses were built for Frank William Andrews, a real estate investor and former importer of iron and crockery. He sold 8 Marlborough and retained 6 Marlborough as his home.
Frank and Maria Frances (Adams) Andrews lived at 6 Marlborough and also maintained a summer residence, "Sunset Ridge," in Newport, designed by H. H. Richardson. His parents, William Turell Andrews and his wife, Fannie (Reynolds) Andrews, lived with them at 6 Marlborough. William T. Andrews was a real estate investor and banker.
By 1870, Frank and Maria Andrews had purchased and moved to 187 Beacon Street. 6 Marlborough remained William T. Andrews's home until his death in November of 1879. His widow continued to live there until her death in April of 1881.
By 1882, 6 Marlborough had been acquired by Mrs. Pauline (Agassiz) Shaw, the wife of mining investor Quincy Adams Shaw. She and her husband lived in Jamaica Plain.
Pauline Shaw was the daughter of noted zoologist and Professor Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz. She was active in the women's suffrage, peace, prison reform, and kindergarten movements. She is credited for underwriting thirty kindergarten schools in Boston and for aiding numerous schools and progressive organizations, including founding the North Bennett Street Industrial School in the North End in 1885.
Mrs. Shaw opened a private day school at 6 Marlborough designed to provide an education to her own children and to the children of other families in the neighborhood. It was considered one of the most progressive schools in Boston, co-educational through all the grades and a leader in innovative curricula and methods. Samuel Eliot Morison attended Mrs. Shaw's school and mentions it (with an incorrect address of 5 Marlborough) in his One Boy's Boston.
In 1889, she acquired 8 Marlborough, next door, and used that building as an extension of the school. By 1892, it also was the residence of Miss Isobel Louisa Briggs, the school's principal.
In about 1893, Mrs. Shaw began closing the school and thereafter appears to have used 6 Marlborough for other purposes.
By 1904, Mrs. Shaw had made 6 Marlborough the headquarters of the Massachusetts Woman's Suffrage Association. It continued to be listed at 6 Marlborough there in the 1909 Blue Book.
By 1915 had become the headquarters of the Women's Municipal League of Boston. The League continued to be listed there in the 1917 Blue Book.
Pauline Shaw continued to be shown as the owner of 6 Marlborough on the 1917 Bromley map. She died in February of 1917.By 1920, 6 Marlborough had become a private residence again, the home of Quincy and Pauline Shaw's grandson, Louis Agassiz Shaw, Jr. He was a professor at Harvard and is credited for inventing the first widely-used iron lung. He continued to live there until the house was razed in 1924.